qpsmtpd as a mail proxy for outgoing mail
Bojan Čekrlić
2014-01-15 14:45:59 UTC
Hi list,

I've been looking around for this solution and qpsmtpd seems to be the
closest thing that I found. Let me explain:

I would like to do something similar with SMTP that Perdition
(http://horms.net/projects/perdition/) does for IMAP/POP. Namely, when
the user authenticates, his conversation would be forwarded to target
outgoing mail server, based on his authentication details.

Basically have one SMTP "gateway" that forwards outgoing mail based on
user credentials.

As qsmtpd already has a plugin that autenticates against another SMTP
server (http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/doku.php?id=plugins:auth:auth_smtpd) and
perl already has libraries for talking to SMTP, it seems this wouldn't
be impossible to do with qsmtpd.

The $100 question: has anybody had any experience setting up a
configuration like this? Is it even possible with qsmtpd?

Thank you,
Steve Freegard
2014-01-15 19:43:02 UTC
Bojan,

This seems like a reasonable thing to do and not impossible to do at all.

I moved from qpsmtpd a while ago and I'm using Haraka now (see
https://github.com/baudehlo/Haraka) and you could probably do this by
hacking a couple of the existing plugins if you know a bit of Javascript
(smtp_proxy.js and auth_proxy.js).

Regards,
Steve.
b***@cekrlic.com